5.25 ounces all purpose flour
3 ounces levain (see my recipe for levain)
.13 ounce salt
1/2 teas. instant yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 ounces water
Assorted seeds and seasonings: E.g., sesame, poppy, and flax seeds, paprika, coarse sea salt, whatever you like
NOTE: If not using levain, increase flour to 6.75 ounces and water to 3.5 ounces.
- Combine all ingredients. Dough should be tight, but if crumbly add a bit more water, a tablespoon at a time.
- Knead for 10 minutes. The dough should be silky and smooth, a lovely dough to work with.
- Ferment in bowl covered with plastic wrap, at room temp for 2 to 2-1/2 hours
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
- Press out into a rectangle on a floured countertop, then roll out as evenly as possible to fit a standard sheet pan (do not use an insulated cookie sheet). You may have to occasionally pick up and move the dough or let it rest a few minutes if it keeps snapping back. Take your time and get the dough as paper-thin as possible.
- Cover the sheet pan with parchment paper and transfer the dough, stretching out by hand to fit. Trim any dough that hangs over the edge.
- Lightly mist the dough with water, and sprinkle with alternating rows of seeds and seasonings, overlapping slightly. Press seeds into dough with your hands
- Bake in center of oven 15-20 minutes until crackers just start to brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack.
- Break into shards and serve.