Makes 8 2-1/2 inch biscuits
333 grams (about 2-1/2 cups) all-purpose unbleached flour
14 grams (1 Tbl) sugar
7 g (a scant 1 tsp) Kosher salt
10 g (2 tsp) baking power
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup lard or butter, frozen or very cold
180 grams (about 1 cup when frothy) levain
115 grams, give or take (about 1/2 cup) milk
- Feed levain at least 2 hours before beginning.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix all dry ingredients. Chop lard or butter into chunks and work into dry mixture with fingers until reduced to the size of peas. Do not overwork.
- Add levain and mix thoroughly.
- Add milk, mixing in, until dough just holds together. It should be a very tight dough.
- Using hands, knead lightly for a minute and push into a disk on a floured countertop, pushing it out gently and evenly until about 3/4 inch thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter to cut into biscuits, recombining dough and reforming as necessary.
- Place on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper
- Bake about 30-35 minutes until just starting to turn brown on top.
- Serve immediately.